FalconStor® Virtual Tape Library with Deduplication is a disk-based solution that emulates physical tape drives and libraries. VTL is a vital tool in your data mastery arsenal and gives you instant hero status by modernizing your archive environment and optimizing backup storage requirements so you can save your department money and improve restore performance to enable rapid remote disaster recovery.
Whether you’re refining an existing backup system or implementing a new one, FalconStor VTL with Deduplication can make the process faster and smoother, reducing backup windows and improving storage efficiency by up to 95%.
Redundant data blocks are removed and replaced with pointers to the unique data copy. In effect, only changes from the last time the data was stored are kept. All unnecessary meta-data is removed, leaving only the raw data stored on disk. All of these processes are secure, automated, and error-free.
ADDRESS THE CHALLENGES OF ARCHIVE AND LEGACY BACKUP WITH FALCONSTOR VTL WITH DEDUPLICATION
FalconStor VTL unifies NAS and VTL technologies to enhance legacy backup with a more flexible data protection architecture. By utilizing deduplication capability, you can reduce physical storage needs and costs.
Benefits include capacity reduction, longer data retention, improved restore times, and increased data reliability through the elimination of tape shipments. Complex passwords and customizable account lockout policies can be enabled to add additional layers of security without compromising performance.
Meet the backup window. Achieve single node aggregate backup speeds of up to 40TB/hour to meet your single biggest issue in backup.
Scale to meet data growth needs. Deploy the only solution that can independently scale high availability backup nodes from cluster deduplication nodes to handle large data sets and extremely demanding backup windows.
Reduce capacity requirements. Eliminate redundant data and reduce capacity requirements by as much as 95% while selecting the deduplication policy that best aligns performance to business requirements.
HOW VIRTUAL TAPE LIBRARY WITH DEDUPLICATION (VTL) WORKS TO ENSURE YOUR BACKUPS ARE AUTOMATED, SECURE, ENCRYPTED, AND FUTURE-PROOF
FalconStor VTL with Deduplication works by removing redundant data blocks and replacing them with pointers to the unique data copy. Only unique blocks from the last time the data was stored are kept. All unnecessary meta-data is removed, leaving only the raw data stored on disk. All of these processes are secure, automated, and error-free.
Remove the burden of backup from remote office non-IT staff. One of the biggest headaches for IT is performing backups using physical tape at remote offices where often there is no IT staff. Non-IT staff are expected to deal with challenges such as rotating tapes and backup failures. They are not skilled at this, and backups frequently fail. You’ll get instant hero status by taking this burden off branch office workers while protecting the data and eliminating failures related to tapes and staffing issues.
Get higher backup speeds without impact to the business. FalconStor VTL with Deduplication archives data with no impact to application servers or business continuity.
Align deduplication processes to business goals. Meet regulatory and compliance requirements for protecting and storing data offsite while ensuring it’s highly available and accessible from multiple sites and define your deduplication use case (remote office, inline, post/ concurrent, or none) based on SLAs and business needs.
Use existing investments. FalconStor VTL with Deduplication is a reliable and fast backup solution that is vendor-agnostic, which means you can choose your own hardware to save costs and ensure no compromise on performance.
Export tapes to the cloud. Achieve low-cost tape archive that is encrypted for protection and managed by the local VTL software. Migrate virtual tapes to Amazon Web Services (AWS) S3 object storage for archive purposes in the cloud, and set up policies on virtual tape libraries to automatically migrate tape data when a tape is ejected to the virtual vault after backup.
HIGH-SPEED BACKUP & TAPE INTEGRATION ACROSS HETEROGENEOUS ENVIRONMENTS
FLEXIBLE DEPLOYMENT OPTIONS
Designed with your organization’s size and unique needs in mind, FalconStor Optimized Backup & Deduplication is available in several form factors:
- Software Only: Provides the flexibility to choose the hardware and configuration appropriate for the level of protection and recovery required.
- Virtual Appliance: For VMWare infrastructures scaling from 1TB - 10TB
- Storage Appliance for ROBO and Midmarket: For remote/branch office (ROBO) and midmarket environments, scaling from 12TB - 192TB.
- Cluster Deduplication Gateway for Midmarket and Enterprise: HA cluster deduplication gateways that integrate with certified existing SAN storage, scaling to 2PB of usable storage for midmarket organizations, enterprises, and large enterprises.
- Please see the Certification Matrix for all server hardware supported. Hardware support includes, but is not limited to, FalconStor VTL GA870 and Hitachi Gx200.
- VTL 10 Overview
- FAQ: Virtual Tape Library with Deduplication
- WHITE PAPER: Virtual Tape Library with Deduplication
- WHITE PAPER: Virtual Tape Library with Deduplication Best Practices Guide
- Virtual Tape Library with Deduplication Storage Appliance
- Virtual Tape Library Cluster / Single Instance Repository Deduplication Gateway
- Using FalconStor VTL as a Backup Target for IBMi